Thursday, January 05, 2017

1 5 17 morning call

Another very busy day of work for me, but that's ok because, as I just learned this saying yesterday, "you got to make hay while the sun shines"!
 
No free sessions but, believe it or not, I enjoy teaching just as much. The challenge of analyzing the students' mistakes and figuring out what works to fix them is extremely gratifying for me. Plus, sometimes I get to surf a bit also when I teach. It was the case yesterday when during my first intermediate lesson, I also got to admire Ridge Lenny (Kai's younger brother) and a buddy getting barreled each single wave they caught. I heard the Bay was head high, Hookipa double overhead and the south shore knee to waist, but more consistent than the day before. Beautiful waves everywhere.
 
No time to take pictures though, here's again that standup ripper from two days ago executing an helicopter 360 on a one foot wave. Once again, let me stress out the very good use of the paddle he does. Always in the water, unless he's switching it to the other side.






4am significant buoy readings
South shore


Lanai
1.3ft @ 14s from 203° (SSW)

Barbers
1.7ft @ 15s from 193° (SSW)

Still southerly energy at the buoys, it should still be waist high at least. The south swells might be painfully slow at the beginning, but they last long time.

North shore
NW101
4.2ft @ 9s from 14° (NNE)
3.5ft @ 11s from 10° (N)

N
6.3ft @ 11s from 336° (NNW)           
4.3ft @ 10s from 334° (NNW)
 
NW001
5.6ft @ 9s from 15° (NNE)

Waimea
5.4ft @ 11s from 350° (N)           
4.2ft @ 10s from 353° (N)
 
Pauwela
5.3ft @ 12s from 348° (NNW)
4.2ft @ 9s from 1° (N)
 
Below is the graph of the Pauwela buoy. It looks just like the Surfline graph I posted yesterday (scroll down if you need to check it out again) and from it we can anticipate the NNW swell to decline all day. Not to be worried though, because with a reading of 5f 12s, Hookipa should still be overhead in the morning. I won't be able to make a beach report since I have another 6.30am start.
 
Thankfully, I'm getting students that understand the value of surfing without anybody else around and they don't mind to start that early. Just like when I free surf, the choice of the best spot/conditions is my priority number one. Bit chilly at that time (my car was registering 59F/15C in Kahului yesterday at dawn), the water is actually way warmer than the air these days. That's until 10am, when the temperature goes up to the most pleasant temperature for a human being: the very common (in Hawaii) 77F/25C.
 
Current wind map shows:
1) a distant WNW fetch that is not particularly well oriented for us
2) more NE waves being made, that energy should start already tonight, but tomorrow is the day for it (5.3f 12s from 22 at 8am forecasted by Surfline)
3) another fetch down under


NAM3km map at noon shows again a lovely lack of wind. Obviously, if it's a sunny day (and today should be too), some kind of thermal trades might pick up anyway. Yesterday they were blowing around 15 mph mid day. Early morning will be absolute glass everywhere, so I always recommend to go early. Despite the high tide. Wind before tide in Maui, always.


Well, I hope it's clear enough: today is going to be another stellar day of surfing in this incredibly beautiful island. Now that the sky is cloudless, it's a real paradise for everybody. For me it is everyday, no matter what. Rain or shine, glassy or onshore. What the hell, this place is gorgeous.

No comments: