Friday, July 14, 2017

Friday 7 14 17 morning call

My body demanded a full day of rest for me yesterday and I obeyed. This photo by Jimmie Hepp from this album shows the windsurfers action at Kanaha a couple of days ago and the amazing light that we've been blessed with lately. Judging from the cloud map at the end of the post, today should be another day like that. The light: one of the top 5 things I like about Maui.


Check out this video that is bombarding the social media, called The Dock. That thing is at the same time extremely unnecessary and entertaining. Pretty good surfing too.

The J-Bay WSL contest waiting period started a couple of days ago. In the meantime that they wait for the right conditions to start, check out this Mechanics of J-Bay article on Surfline. If you guys were my student (aren't you somehow?), I would make sure you understand why the long period swells get pulled in towards the coast more than the short period ones, like it's shown and explained in Bathymetry chapter.

If you are in a bad surf contest watching abstinence, right now there's a contest being webcasted (in Spanish) from San Bartolo in Peru. I've been there, but I don't remember surfing that particular wave. All I remember is grey skies and cold water, really.

3-4am significant buoy readings
South shore

W
1.4ft @ 11s from 128° (ESE)
1.2ft @ 13s from 117° (ESE)
 
SW
1.6ft @ 12s from 132° (SE)

SE
2.2ft @ 12s from 145° (SE)

Minimal energy from the south. That is compliant with the lack of decent fetches in the south pacific a week ago... I didn't even circled one last Friday. The fetches started looking decent on the 9th, so we should hopefully see something better starting Sunday. Check the webcams for size and conditions.

North shore
Pauwela
3.1ft @ 6s from 70° (ENE)
2.7ft @ 7s from 81° (E)
 
6-7 seconds energy at the buoy and the usual wind on it (11mph from 75 at 5.20am) will most likely make me choose to pass on the Hookipa check. I know there have been waves to surf, but I'm too spoiled by the cleanness of the south shore.
 
Wind map at noon. Those maps (or any other forecast really) have been underestimated the intensity of the trades. The combination of clear skies and the Haleakala does miracles in Maui.


I know you guys want to know about the hurricane, so I'll do an exception to my rule of only looking 24h ahead (unless you want to plan a surf trip, of course). This is Fernanda's predicted trajectory and as you can see (I drew in red where Hawaii is), it's coming straight at us.

North Pacific only shows well oriented kinda weak windswell fetch.


The South Pacific shows decent fetches for the fourth day in a row, next week should be an ok one with decent background energy but no "conclamated swells" and hopefully not too many people in the lineups.


Another stunning day is on its way.

No comments: