Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sunday 7 23 17 morning call

Some days I don't have a photo of the day, some days I have a bunch from different sources. After my early morning delightful longboard session in Lahaina, the highway was closed for an hour due to an accident on the Pali. That's one good way to kill the time. I went for a nap instead because I wanted to save my energies for later. And that was a very good idea.


In fact, while the Maui Race Series were being held (photo by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery), I went windfoiling at upper Kanaha. I was riding the windswell breakers up there, pretty much on the background of these guys. So much fun (and a little scary) to drop into a wave and have no idea of how the foil is going to react. Big part of the fun of this new sport, is because you got to figure things out pretty much from scratch. As usual, I learned a lot and today I hope to go again.


This photo showing a couple of Maui legends getting ready for a foiled SUP downwinder.  was posted by my friend Tomoko on Facebook. She titled it: Foil fever still going strong in the summer. I think Maui has lots of people who likes to explore new horizon, struggle and get beaten up by nature.
Here's the comment I posted: I was windfoiling on the waves at uppers instead. Well... trying to!So much fun to have to figure that out going through all you wrote. I just chose to minimize the "struggling and getting beaten up by nature part"... :)


And in case you were wondering how the waves were in Hana, here's a shot of Memphis Brown at Koki Beach taken by his dad Jesse.


5am significant buoy readings
South shore

W
2.8ft @ 12s from 142° (SE)

That's the only indication of southerly energy I could see at the outer buoys, the webcams will be key to determine size and conditions. I'm not going this morning since I work at 9 and couldn't get up early enough. I windfoiled 2 hours without the harness yesterday and I'm quite beat up this morning.
There we go, I caught a shoulder high bomb for you guys. But the minus low tide at 9am will definitely kill the size a bit.


North shore
Pauwela
4.1ft @ 9s from 83° (E)

Hilo
5.2ft @ 9s from 88° (E)

Those are the numbers of the Fernanda-reinforced windswell at the buoys, the true direction and size and the ones at Hilo, and that means that Hookipa is a bit sheltered. Stay tuned for a beach report, I'm not going to Lahaina, but I'm definitely going to Hookipa later.


Wind map at noon shows extremely light wind. This model is being quite off lately, let's see what happens today.


North Pacific only shows the windswell fetch.


No fetches of any consequences in the South Pacific.


We finally see Fernanda in the satellite close-up. Actually, we don't because the center of counterclockwise circulation is where I drew the F and the clouds completely dissipated there. The ones north of it just formed in the last few hours. Rain or shine, should be another stunning day.

No comments: