Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Tuesday 9 19 17 morning call

Double foil session for me yesterday.
It was the first SUP foil surfing attempt after I learned how to windfoil and the difference was huge. I was able to get the foil up and control it most times and most importantly, control the wipeouts. No scary out of control moments like in the previous attempts. I was just going straight, but I can claim I had fun. So some of the skill did transfer from windfoiling to SUP foiling. That was a winning strategy which I recommend to all the windsurfers who are interested in learning how to SUP or surf foil (and eventually downwind foil): learn how to windfoil first, because it's the easiest foiling discipline (unless you have a jet ski and a lake to practice some towing, and I'm still not sure that's easier).

After that, I went windfoiling on the north shore and that was fun too. I predict a lot of foiling practicing in this week, since there's no good waves for surfing anywhere.

Later in the afternoon the windsurfers hit the windswell at Hookipa and this must have been the set of the day.


Most of the waves must have looked like this one instead. Photos by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery.


5am significant buoy readings
South shore
The outer buoys only show the windswell and that's a sign that the Tasman Sea swell we surfed the last three days has got very small. It will be tiny on the south shore, but maybe I go anyway to SUP foil, in which case I'll post a beach report.

North shore
Waimea
0.9ft @ 12s from 307° (WNW)

Pauwela
5.4ft @ 8s from 75° (ENE)

Windswell at levels similar to yesterday at Pauwela, while a sliver of WNW energy coming from the fetch I pointed out in the last three days is hitting Waimea. We could possibly get some lines in the afternoon at Hookipa too, but don't expect nothing major, it will still be mostly about the windswell.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific shows a small/weak NW fetch and the windswell one.


South Pacific shows a small fetch in the Tasman sea and a weak (25 knots) SSE one. I don't expect much from either one.


Morning sky.

No comments: