Saturday, March 10, 2018

Saturday 3 10 18 morning call

A shortboard session for me yesterday. My friend Gianfranco is visiting, we've been scoring fun sessions all over the island. Yesterday it was Honolua's turn again.


Little groms can magically appear in front of you.


I had a quick chat with this surfer visiting from Martha's Vineyard.


On the way back, I passed on a windsurfing session that looked pretty fun, but not exactly my ideal conditions (bit too windy). The easiness with which I did that is a sign of things that are a changing. This photo from 6 years ago came up in my Facebook memories and symbolizes that. That was a day with very strong and gusty wind (the sail is a 3.7) and I would not sail such conditions today.
Every session in every discipline contributes to refining skills and building waves and conditions knowledge and preferences. Such should be life.


Nonetheless, I'm gonna go check out this IWT kick off get together at the Paia Bay Coffee & Bar tonight.


1am significant buoy readings
South shore

No indication of southerly energy at the buoys, the Surfline forecast calls for 1f 11s.

North shore
N
7.8ft @ 9s from 11° (NNE)

Pauwela
6.5ft @ 12s from 19° (NNE)
5.5ft @ 9s from 19° (NNE)
4.6ft @ 7s from 22° (NNE)
 
Third day in a row with very similar overall conditions, even though the energy from the NNE is going to slowly taper down. That is based on the observation of the N buoy reading and on the Surfline forecast which I put together with the Pauwela's graph in the image below. Notice the big swell on Monday.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific finally shows the fetch of Monday's swell, mostly between 340 and 350. In fact, the Surfline forecast calls for a 2pm peak of 13f 15s from 346.


A very small fetch in the South Pacific.


Morning sky.

No comments: